Updated: Jun 21
by Rafihat Banjo
Alexa, play “Rich Girl” by Gwen Stefani ft. Eve. If you grew up during the early 2000s, then you’re probably familiar with a lot of these trends. If you grew up during the late 2000s or early 2010s, then you’re probably confused.
If you didn’t grow up iconic chick flicks like “Mean Girls,” “10 Things I Hate About You,” “Freaky Friday,” “The Princess Diaries,” or the “Bring It On” series and constantly wanted to steal fashion ideas and incorporate it into your own wardrobe, then you missed a whole era of iconic fashion!
A lot of fashion trends are making a comeback, especially with the help of social media! But who could forget the iconic babydoll tunics, denim miniskirts, rimless tinted sunglasses, dress over your jeans, and midriff tops? And not to mention the most popular brands of the early 2000s, such as Baby Phat, Juicy Couture, Ed Hardy, DKNY, Candie’s, Mudd, True Religion, and Bobby Jack.
And don’t get me started on the Y2K (Year 2000) fashion icons! Paris Hilton. Lindsay Lohan. Britney Spears. Hilary Duff. Fergie. Rihanna. Beyoncé. Jessica Simpson.
Fashion trends always repeat themselves; as the saying always goes, history always repeats itself. Here are some Y2K trends that are making a comeback.
1. Low rise/baggy jeans – These are definitely a staple and must-have piece to have in your wardrobe. You can pair low-rise and baggy jeans with almost anything and still look good! You can dress them up with your favorite studded belt or a bedazzled crop top.
2. Tube tops – Having a tube top in every single color is essential. You can style it with a denim jacket or shrug. Or simply wear it as is. Wearing a tube top with cargos or a maxi skirt will definitely have you reminiscing about the early 2000s.
3. Halter tops – Halter tops are very iconic; I almost forgot they were a Y2K trend! They are so prominent in 2021 fashion, all thanks to the early 2000s. Halter tops can be worn with almost anything, whether it’s your favorite pair of jeans or a mini skirt.
4. Velour tracksuits – Paired with UGGs, big sunglasses, and Starbucks coffee for the complete look! If you tried to convince yourself that you didn’t want a pair of these, you’re lying! Everyone wanted a Juicy Couture velour tracksuit. Just seeing Paris Hilton sport a velour tracksuit was enough to make me run out to buy one.
5. Platform wedge flip flops – Every girl had these in the early 2000s. You can simply pair them with bell bottoms or capris. Growing up and watching “Lizzie McGuire” is enough to persuade you into purchasing a pair.
6. Mesh tops – Definitely a must if you’re looking for a darker, grunge look. Mesh tops can be worn over camisoles or a bralette. Mesh tops are an easy way to spice up an outfit, and you can style them with camouflage cargos and a denim jacket!
7. Small handbags – You have probably seen this all over TikTok and Instagram. Small handbags have definitely made a name for themselves. Small handbags will force you to only carry essentials. They add the finishing touches to any outfit, and you can wear them with almost anything!